Sunday, August 1, 2010

Happy Friendship Day!!!



Friendship isn't always easily described. The Eskimos, they say, have a hundred different words for snow. Unfortunately, the English language isn't quite as innovative, though it has vast opportunities to differentiate meaning. Certainly, Love is one of those opportunities. And so, too, is Friendship.

Lets raise a toast to friendship!!! Friends have no relation of blood,they can be different and yet so similar.If friendship was the base of every relation,we would be blessed. I sure am blessed cause my parents are like my best friends and I'm also lucky to have a couple of true friends.Through each phase of life I've made best friends.They are like angles,who come in our lives to share our joy and troubles with us.Cheers to all my angles,without whom I wouldn't have been what I am now.


The origin of friendships day dates back to 1935 when the US Congress decided to have a day to celebrate this special bond.Though nobody knows why exactly was this thought of,but a little research tells us that maybe the First World War had a huge impact. The First World War ended in late 1918,but the fear,the hatred and the mistrust was still lingering in the minds of the people.So the US Congress declared that the first Sunday should be celebrated as friendships day.The trouble wasn't only between people,there was so much mistrust and tension among the nations which was a perfect recipe for another World War.Isn't it so true,such a day was thought upon after the Great War!! Even in todays times,we may not face any wars but all the problems one can have,friends are the perfect solution to all of them.Then in 1997 Winnie the Pooh was declared as the World's Ambassador for friendship by the UN.




Friends are important in all our lives.We cannot choose our family or our colleagues,but we can always choose our friends.They say we can judge someone by his friends,so true.My best buddies are my treasure,whom i can show off at all times.Not that they are good looking,or rich,or successful,or famous,or they are geniuses,sure they have some of these qualities,but they are great people.Everyone can always point at them and say she/he is a good guy.They have their faults,but so do I.Thats what the bond is about.I feel my best friends are like my soul mates who can understand my silence and see through my smile all the pain I'm hiding.Life wouldn't be the same without you all,I wouldn't be the same without you. Thank you to all my friends for being who you are!! You Rock!!



Let me leave you with an awesome poem by Heather Stoop,which perfectly depicts the friendships we share,separated by miles but connected my hearts.
Between The Miles
Because existence can become severe
in one day,
just sense me and I'll be there.
In the minds eye,
I'm not so far away.
If you hold out your hand,
in the whispers,
I'll become the zephyr.
and besiege you.
If your eye's upon the stars,
in the crystalline darkness,
I'll become the moon.
And the light shall guide you.
If you rest upon the ground,
in the warmth,
I'll become the grass.
And embrace you.
If you turn outside,
in the wetness,
I'll become the rain.
An upon your forehead, kiss you.
If you free the air,
in the light of day,
I'll become the sun.
And smile for you.

Between the miles-
if you need me.
If you need a friend.
Let me be the friend, I want to be.

2 comments:

Haddock said...

Did not know that friendship day had a link as far back as WW-I

Shetty Priyanka said...

:)